clouds of peace

So, it's the little things that make me giddy, yet there are times when I truly wonder if I am missing the "big picture", am I alone in this, does anyone else think about these things, feel this way? I have always been spiritual, I've studied the Dalai Lama, I do yoga regularly, meditate, write in my gratification journal, I am at one with nature while walking or working in my garden......yet when I watch my dogs eat with pure abandon, romp with pure joy, or greet me at the door as if I were Santa Claus, the Easter bunny and tooth fairy all rolled into one [they are ecstatic just because I come home] I see true happiness, unconditional love, I am completely humbled by them. Something as simple as scratching behind their ears has them wagging their tails in pure delight. I want what they have!!!
I want that live-in-the-moment-unconditional-love-pure-peaceful-easy-feeling!

A wise spiritual leader named Gandhi once said, "You must be the change you want to see in the world." I have always aspired to that, trying to be more understanding, more compassionate, more spiritual and most importantly more joyous! I am always striving to focus on purpose, positive energy, and those things that bring me peace [so to transcend any cliches ding! ding! ding! I remember why I bake, it puts me in the moment, it brings me peace, yes, it really is that good] I embrace it. I conjure up the magic, baking the spells to cure what ails me......I am fascinated by this process, so yes, it's true...it's the little things. What brings you peace? What is unconditional love?  How do you live in the moment? [I'm not Gandhi dude, I don't have all the answers] but when I start measuring, mixing and creating the pastries that come together I start to feel......yeah okay, peaceful.

It is at times like this, when I'm feeling melancholy that I want to bake something that "takes me away from it all",  it must be sweet, elegant, enchantingly simple... given this criteria the first thing that comes to mind is French Meringues, billowy white clouds that whisk away the blues and bring me joy. Crisply sweet, airy, heavenly, melt-in-your-mouth-cookies. *sigh* I adore them. Unequivocally.

These cookies are amazingly simple with only 2 ingredients, but a few tips to parlay will help ensure that your meringues come out perfectly.
  • Use a clean dry bowl, completely free of any grease. (Avoid using a plastic bowl).
  • Cold eggs separate easily, but room temperature eggs whip to a higher volume. To achieve this, separate cold eggs then allow them to come to room temperature for about 20 minutes before whipping.
  • Separate each egg into two small bowls, one for the whites and one for the yolks, then add the whites to the larger bowl for whipping (this allows you to remove any broken yolks, which can deflate the egg whites). 
beautiful, no?

french meringues

 peace.

Comments

  1. this post will keep me smiling all day. I also aspire daily to live in the "now". Just wish I had a kitchen with a good oven so I could try some of these recipes. It's our next project--remodeling the kitchen. I print out my favorite recipes from you and put them in a folder. Some day....some day...!! Have a wonderful, joyous day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiring post! Some of my happiest memories involve meringues. I can still remember sneaking them off of the dessert table at family gatherings and slipping off to eat them in the garden. I would end up seated in the dirt (in my best dress, of course) with bare feet in the soil and lick my sticky meringue fingers while getting lost in my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, my friends for your sweet comments and the trip down memory lane, I love going there often!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts