healthy in a jar

I want to talk a bit, okay, drone on endlessly, about Granola. At this point I'm sure your wondering {yawning} just how much there is to say about it, truth be told, you don't even need a recipe to make it! Usually the show starts by cleaning out the pantry and using up what ever dried fruits and nuts there are lying about. Start toasting up some oats, nuts and coconut, heat up something to glob it all together, throw in some fruit and bake until crispy then crumble. Voila! you have Granola. Nothing fussy. My basic "recipe" is fashioned on memories of the gutsy granola I started making while living in San Francisco.


I found that some granola you buy in the grocery stores can contain preservatives and all kinds of corn syrup, by making your own you can control what goes into it. Granola is a breakfast food, a snack food, a take-it-with-you-on-a-hike-in-case-we-get-lost-in-the-woods-food. Eat it with yogurt, cereal, fruits, honey or on top of multi-grain waffles with peanut butter (YUM). Ever since I can remember I have had a jar of granola sitting on my kitchen counter (no, not the same one!), packed little bags of it in school lunches, and taken it on trips. Home made granola will keep for several months in an airtight container, or 1 1/2 weeks at my house. It looks good, tastes good, and if made right is good for you. If healthy were a food, it would be Granola.



granola





Comments

Popular Posts