an apple a day...

 First, it might be worth mentioning that I’m on a kind of Fall rampage. Perhaps it started when I was on my cleaning kick, or  maybe it’s just this winter-coming-soon thing. In any event, I'm still wondering what happened to to the last few months?  And just to rub salt in my own wounds I started boxing up summer and airing out winter. I cleaned out closets that smacked of neglect. I made headway in the garage and order in the basement, regretfully put the garden to bed and started raking mountains of leaves all the while daydreaming about a glorious, imaginary day in the far flung future when magically ........ 
 wait!..... did I forget to tell you about the apples?  Holy cow! They were prancing about in their red, yellow and Granny Smith green fall jackets, demanding affirmation that they looked  fabulous, which they did. So good in fact I almost forgot to thank them for tasting so darn fancy pants after only a brief shower and a few minutes to kitten up. And their perfume? Divine!  I've been eating apples for weeks now, any way I can get them...sauced (tee hee, the apples not me), apple dappy, pies, tarts, salads, and (YUM) cut into thick wedges and dipped in caramel. Why just this afternoon while the sun sauntered around my kitchen like James Dean, I plied them with Greek yogurt dusted on some freshly ground cinnamon, drizzled on a mist of honey,  viola! a healthy snack, happy for the sweet crunchiness of the apples and relieved that they would not anchor me down  for the rest of the day.
  I think I've  actually started to fantasize about winter. What? Who said that? I know! there are times when my mind kinda wanders off without me...I could be reading a book or magazine that may as well have blank pages for all I'm comprehending. I go to the grocery store and wander the isles wondering if I imagined my ability to cook. I forget where I'm going (or where I've just been). And when I step into my pantry, yikes, I wonder where did all this stuff come from? How could I possibly have 15 cans of pumpkin,  all these bags of dried fruits and beans, 7 different kinds of flour, 8 different types of sugar, and don't even get me started on the chocolate. Yeah, I took that trip this morning wading through the jams, mustard and teas, meeting up with old friends and making new ones......

Oh Yeah, the apples......what to make with them? I skipped over recipes for crisps, thinking them too elementary for my seasoned baking skills. Dumplings? Please, been there done that. Pie? I seriously contemplated it, but felt like crust was more of a commitment than I was willing to make, so I kept thumbing. I wasn't in the mood for turn overs. Tarte tatin? Nope. Cobbler? Maybe another time. Strudel? I like strudel with bites of flaky golden crust, but they are appropriately challenging, so not today. I chose apple tart cake. What is apple tart cake you may ask? Is it a cake parading as a tart or maybe it's a tart masquerading as a cake, either way, it's delicious. This was dessert, from last night, then paired with morning coffee, to make a simple, yet extravagant tasting breakfast. It was amazing.

 peace.

Apple Tart Cake

Comments

Popular Posts