chick flicks...

 
There are times when I come across something that makes me so happy, I let out a little squeal of delight [this usually causes the hubs to say something along the lines of "oh my god, what now?"] because he knows that sooner or later it will somehow involve him. If nothing else, he will have to listen to me ramble on and on about the latest I-can't-believe-I've-lived-without-this-until-now-rant. Good times. 

So what is my latest obsession you ask? Chickens! and not just any chickens but Araucana chickens, s'ok, here is my plea reasoning in a nutshell... I promise I will take care of them all by myself, and.....they are amazingly beautiful, lay pretty, pale blue eggs, [duh, delicious fresh eggs] easy to care for, [maybe?] great pets, chicken manure, [good for the soil in my garden] educational experience, they will scare away the deer,  chickens are very sociable and will get along nicely with the goats. goats? What? exactly, I think this is where it went south. Yes, I know, I can be grueling. pfffff!
 
If the only veggie burgers you've tasted were frozen, these black bean burgers will be a revelation. Veggie burgers the delicate, healthy version of hamburgers, can easily be made at home and with the perfect combination of fresh veggies and spices, these are elevated above the ordinary. The ingredients are assembled quickly, whizzed together, then slowly baked. The key to achieving the proper texture is cutting the veggies in big chunks and not processing them until they are completely smooth, and saving about 1/4 of the whole beans to add in by hand at the end. I suggest eating these with a slice of pepper jack cheese, butter lettuce, avocado & tomato slices [a few baked sweet potato fries on the side doesn't hurt] beyond that darling your on your own, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
black bean burgers
(Espresso and Cream)
1/2 cup shredded carrots
combination of red, orange & yellow peppers (to equal 1 pepper) seeded & cut into large chunks
1 jalapeño seeded & cut into quarters
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained

Preheat your oven to 300*F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade combine all ingredients except for the black beans. Pulse a few times until ingredients are finely chopped but still have some texture, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go. Add about 3/4 of the beans and pulse until the beans begin to break down and the ingredients hold together.

Transfer to a large mixing bowl and stir in the remaining beans by hand. Form mixture into about 6 patties and place them on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 40-45 minutes until the edges become crispy and patties start to hold together. Allow patties to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes (to firm up) before placing them on the buns and dressing them up.

enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts