Happy Mother's Day!

When I was about 10 years old I baked my first wedding cake. Fine, it was in my little, turquoise easy bake oven, but that's where it started. Every doll I owned (including Betsy Wetsy who was a newborn) got married and had a wedding cake. My Mom helped me plan all the weddings [she was great with the flowers] and was a guest of honor [alright the only guest] at all the ceremonies.

Mom was also my biggest fan at all my ballet recitals, put up with my unique fashion sense, taught me right from wrong, let me stay up to watch Dynasty, bought me white go-go boots, taught me to say please & thank you, to respect other people, how to think for myself, held my hand when I was scared, comforted me when I was sick [my Mom has the best hands], kicked me in the butt when I needed it, laughed with me until we cried, and Always & All ways was there for me...I could [and still can] talk to her about anything.

Mother's Day is upon us- [and how is that, I ask? How is it already May?] Mother's Day is the day we celebrate Mom and let her know how much she means to us [hopefully you do this everyday, but today we tell her with gifts, flowers, cards and the ever popular "family dinner" in a restaurant!] Sound grand? Actually, it is. I was in the food service industry for over 20 years, and let me tell you, Mom's like to go out to eat on Mother's day [unlike Dad who loves to stay home and fire up the old grill on Father's day].  You betcha! So, shower Mom with-gifts-cards-flowers-dinner out-love-hugs-kisses-for as long as you can! Mom's spend so much time doing things for everyone else they sometimes get lost in the shuffle of everydayness, so take the time to spoil her a little. Why wait until a day in May, take Mom out once a month [or once a week if you can] for "Mother's Day"...and if your lucky enough to still have a Mom to talk to everyday......talk to her everyday.

As I kiss Mom good bye I give her a small box 
that contains my grown up version of that long ago "wedding cake."
Thank you Mom for a ridiculously awesome childhood filled with love, laughter and magic.
 I love you.

vanilla bean cupcakes {wedding cakes}

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
On April 21, 2010 we lost my beloved mother-in-law,
madres felices Emma querida días, vive en nuestros corazones.


Comments

Popular Posts