two for tuesday Mama's Shrimp Creole and Rice Pilaf

 

I love am obsessed with cookbooks! I have over 300 at last count. While some people buy t-shirts or post cards when they go on vacation, I buy cookbooks from the places I visit, collecting them like shells on the beach (oh, I want to go to the beach)!  I read them as if they were novels, welcoming me like an old friend. My favorite cookbooks have photos galore and are graced with  little stories, that seem to make you part of the family, or at the very least a cherished companion. 

So, it should come as no surprise that one of my favorite all time cookbooks is Bon Appetit, Y'all by Virginia Willis. If you only remember one thing I said here today, let it be this, GET THIS COOKBOOK! I'm telling you, it is awesome.

As time goes on I will be posting oodles of recipes from this book, but today I want to tell you about Mama's Shrimp Creole. Luscious, satiny, red sauce enveloping pink, briney shrimp over lightly toasted, fluffy rice pilaf! I made this for dinner on Sunday, and let me tell you, everyone fell in love with it at first bite (or it may have been when the intoxicating aroma crept into every corner of the house). A major topic of conversation was the name $20,000 Rice Pilaf, I guess if you begged I could tell you the story, but do yourself a favor and buy the book, read it for yourself, not only will you uncover the secret, you will have a cookbook loaded with breathtaking photos, scrumptious recipes, heart warming stories and a wealth of tips and techniques. What are you waiting for?



Mama's Shrimp Creole and $20,000 rice pifaf


Comments

Popular Posts