Valentine's Day bite-size sour cream pound cake cupcakes

  

 So, the project was a simple one, take a small box, cut a hole in the top, cover it with crepe paper, paste on a few tissue paper flowers (don't forget the glitter), bring it to school along with the Valentine's you painsakingly filled out. In the afternoon there would be a party with cookies, cupcakes and punch, followed by the much anticipated passing out of the Valentines. End of story. Not quite...it is safe to say that even in the 2nd grade I was devoted, and when I say devoted I mean obsessed with any project I took on, and the Valentine's Box was one of my favorites! What should have been a 2 hour project became tantamount to the evacuation of Troy. I spent days working on it, cutting, pasting, agonizing over just the perfect touches. Still, there was something missing. Nothing seemed quite right until I remembered my Mom's jewelry box......nothing was more beautiful to me than Mom's jewelry. So I "borrowed" some, pasting on earrings and bracelets with thick gobs of white paste! It was perfect! Well, that is until my Mom's saw it, now you would think she got really upset, but the truth is she loved it, although, being concerned she might never see her beloved Sarah Coventry again, she hustled me off to Woolworth's where we bought a treasure trove of pop beads and rhinestones. That year I won for prettiest valentines box and I got the most Valentines (not like it was a contest or anything). For a seven year old that was a perfect day, hey, who am I kidding, that still sounds like a perfect day. Guess I better get started on my Valentine Box, the cupcakes are already baked for the party. Have fun!



If Valentine's Day were a food it would taste like these, delicate and airy on the inside with blushing pink sweetness on the outside and just the perfect size!
bite-size sour cream pound cake cupcakes
from Southern Living  {printable recipe}
cupcakes:
(makes about 6 dozen miniature or 2 dozen regular cupcakes)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
Vanilla Buttercream (for frosting) recipe follows
  1. Preheat oven to 350*. Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
  2. Combine flour with next 3 ingredients. Gradually add to butter mixture alternating with sour cream, beating until blended. Spoon batter by rounded tablespoons into lightly greased miniature muffin pans (I used cute little liners with hearts on them).
Bake for 13 minutes (about 23 minutes for regular cupcakes), or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pans to wire rack and cool completely (about 30 minutes). Frost with buttercream (or dip in glaze).

Vanilla Buttercream:
(makes about 3 cups)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons milk (or cream)
  1. Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. 
  2. Gradually add powdered sugar, alternating with milk, beating at low speed until blended and smooth after each addition. 
  3. If desired, beat in remaining 1 tablespoon milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency. I added a few drops of red food color to get a pretty pink icing.


HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

What are you doing special for your Valentine?

Comments

Popular Posts