chili...... just to make you happy!



Chili is a true free spirit. It's like being happy, more a state of mind than a tangible event, and what makes you happy is your own interpretation of what to put in it. I don't think I have ever made a pot of chili the same way twice. When asked for my chili recipe recently I was accused of keeping it enshrouded in secrecy under threat of cloak and dagger. The truth is, and I just imagined that it is the same with everyone, I do not have a recipe for chili, I just start making it with whatever is on hand (almost a clean out the fridge and pantry type of dish). The basic modus operandi goes something like this, always onions (sometimes celery & peppers) spices (lots of them) meat (not always) BEANS (the star of the dish, I love to use a variety) jalapenos or chili peppers (throw in something for a kick) and of course a secret ingredient chocolate! Just in case you are the type of person that likes a guide line, I have included a recipe (I use the word loosely) below.

Serve with an assortment of toppings such as shredded cheese, sliced jalapenos, diced onions (soaked in ice water and drained to make them sweet & crunchy), fresh cilantro, corn chips, there is no end to the possibilities......my favorite topping is chopped avocado with sour cream, it is a fabulous combination, but then I will eat avocado or sour cream on just about anything! YUM!



Comments

Popular Posts