but-that's-not-fair!

Every now and again, I find my hopes and dreams a little bruised and battered. It is at these times I have been known to fall back on my childhood mantra of  "but-that's-not-fair!!" [cue the drama] as I dramatically throw myself to the floor, kicking, screaming, and crying my eyes out the entire time. Just kidding. Or not. Even though holding my breath, stomping my feet and whining have disappeared from my childhood repertoire, I still have what could be called temper tantrums, when I feel I am being treated unfairly by the Universe. This is not something I am particularly proud of, nor do I feel it is the appropriate strategy  for improving matters, but I have never been able to feign jaded indifference, as I have seen adopted by other "grown ups" in antiphon to disappointments. You get that, right?

Years ago I discovered a more productive and tastier solution than moping for life's "but-that's-not-fair!!!" moments. I mix up a little flour, sugar, vanilla and whatever magic the situation calls for to turn life's raw deals  into something sweet and therapeutic. While "but-that's-not-fair!!!" still pops up occasionally, I can somehow manage to whisper it to myself [over and over] as I head off to the kitchen.  Oh my, I know!  

It was under such circumstances [sweet treats I need you now] that I recently found myself throwing together this amazing peach and blueberry crumble, the requisite disappointment forgotten set aside for the time being. It's not that I'm naive about such things, I just prefer to focus on the wholesome positive, I do, but the truth is I could do better, but that's just my nature. So, there it is, I am down at times, but given the choice, I choose joy, if not who would I be?

Big Sigh!

To engage in therapeutic baking may seem like a frivolous waste of time to some, but, I am inclined to believe that it is preferable to kicking my proverbial can. Baking centers me, gives me peace, be it even a temporary peace. I generally emerge from a baking session with a few observations, a new out look, but I'll pass over the many, various reasons I have for touting baking other than to say that pleasant memories [and smells] take my mind to a different place. Although I've now gone over to the other side, [being an "adult"] I still feel strongly about life and it's injustices, it just slays me at times. No, come on. Really! I'll be okay! So when the Universe takes pity on me, I bake... but if this is Karma, bring it on!
peach and blueberry crumble


Comments

Popular Posts