cherry thumbprints......day 3


I have been making these cookies for at least 20 years! Gee, I should not even admit to doing anything for that long, but it's true! These cookies are insanely good, I start by putting a red or green cherry in them, but, I actually do not love maraschino cherries, so I also use some sort of jam, usually raspberry or apricot & have even been know to leave some plain...they are that good!

1 cup butter at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light karo corn syrup
2 eggs separated
2 1/2 cups flour
about 2 cup finely chopped nuts (I like to use walnuts)
maraschino cherries (red & green)
jam if preferred!

In a mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter & sugar until light & fluffy. Add the karo light corn syrup & mix until well blended. Add the egg yolks (reserving the whites, if I do not make the cookies on the same day, I will discard the whites & use new ones, I am just funny about that) one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Gradually add the flour & mix until incorporated. Gather the dough into a ball & wrap in plastic wrap & chill for at least a couple of hours or for a day or two.

Preheat the oven to 325*. Roll the dough by teaspoonfuls into 1 inch balls. Roll the balls first into the lightly beaten egg whites, then roll the balls into the chopped nuts. Place on a baking sheet & press a cherry (or half) into the center. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 75 to 80 cookies.







Comments

Popular Posts