Seems like just yesterday.

I bumped into an old friend the other day. years and volumes of big life happenings filling the gap between her planning her big wedding day and my I'm moving to San Francisco, to now.

The catch-up happened quickly: How are you doing? Where are you living now? What have you been up to? How's the family? Wow, it's been a long time! 

We exchanged answers.

Oh, you know. Things are great. I'm happy. Helping my mom. Planning our retirement. Traveling as much as possible. enjoying life. remember when?...wow, seems like just yesterday.

Oh, you know. Things are great. I keep busy, we have seven grand kids and another on the way. I'm in the trenches right now, just sold our house. Moving to Wyoming.

We ended our serendipitous meeting exchanging niceties and compliments about what we were each wearing.  She liked my red blazer and I loved her colorful top paired with an equally saturated scarf.  The bright colors looked amazing against her olive skin and black almond eyes.  She is still strikingly beautiful.  The kind where you stare.  At the risk of sounding like I have an inappropriate crush on her, I got lost in her face.  Did that sound normal?  I feel like it sounded normal.

I looked down and suddenly became aware of what a mess I was. Flip flops, torn jeans, half of my purse spilling out, misbehaving hair.

The five p.m. Unraveling Hour, and I had braved Whole Foods.

She smiled warmly, genuinely, nothing "You poor thing, you are a mess" about it.

  You look really good. It was great seeing you. Let's not wait so long. We have to do lunch!

Can't believe it's been so long. You look amazing. I will call you next week.

I pulled another wrinkled receipt from my purse and tried not to trip over my own feet. I smiled as I walked away, thinking to myself...

yes, seems like just yesterday.

just sayin'.
 cherry bars

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling

  glaze:
    1 cup confectioners’ sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    2 to 3 tablespoons milk


    Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour.

    Spread 3 cups batter into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread with pie filling. Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over filling. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
   
 In a small bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over top.

Comments

Popular Posts