...it's going to be a bumpy ride.





I know. I know. Another rant about flying. Shall I tell you this is my last one? If you're tired of reading about it, my apologies. At a certain point, I've got to admit that I kinda like it. Flying, I mean. Reaching into my grab bag of outrageous, the one I keep slung over my shoulder, I like to scatter little bits of absurd and incredible about like Jack's beans. I got to thinking about this a few weeks back. I got on a plane!  and went to a place dear to my heart, the ocean. Not a big lake or a river. A whole ocean. A sight to me not unlike unicorns or garden faeries. I have always sorta taken note when life and magic rub shoulders, and darned if it doesn't keep happening.

 
Like flying, for example, all of this within the week. I understand your confusion, completely. It sorta baffles me too. I love it. I hate it. I'm excited. I'm scared. my mind can hardly keep 'em straight.  But, it's the promises kept. so scared is not allowed. not going is unacceptable. I'm working on this. Audacity of hope, indeed. Technically, there are certain things about flying that slay me. It is terrifying exciting, so chock full of emotion and imagery-the kind that sticks to your ribs. Yet, as you know I am not always the best flier.


I'll try to keep it short and sweet. What did it, I can't say for sure. It may have been my first flight. I was ten. Going to Europe with my parents and brother. exciting stuff.  As it happened the flight was delayed for 24 hours due to mechanical problems. 24 hours! in kid time that's two weeks!! But then, came the moment.  You know the moment.  The one where no amount of lack of sleep or parental admonishments can dim your excitement. The one where you realize you are on the adventure of your life. that's right, that one. Whatever facts remain, real or imagined, the truth is, it fell apart like a house of cards . Honestly it could have begun and ended right there. It was a lot of spunk, twinkle then boo! As we climbed the stairs [climbed the stairs] of the DC-9 I knew this was a moment that would take a normal Saturday beyond the ordinary. It was a day that broke all the rules. Somewhere between my wildest dreams and the yucky feeling in my tummy, it occurred to me..I was enchanted. Flying worked a special magic on me...it was end to end wonder. traveling to the sun and back before lunch. You don't need to tell me that magic can happen.
You know how it goes, kids are easy, they snack. rest. play, play for hours on end, and marvel at the expansive possibilities around them.

Most of the time.

It is at this point my memories are a bit scattered [hey it was a long time ago] but I remember it being really hot [I was down to my under shirt and underwear...which in itself is not unusual, as a child I was constantly running around without my clothes on]. But there was an eerie silence. the light coming in the windows was heavy, like honey. the sense that something was not quite right hung in the air like a question left unanswered.  then suddenly the stewardesses [we now know them as flight attendants] did a Mitch Miller and had the entire plane singing "You are my sunshine", singing! we were making an emergency landing and everyone was singing...apparently, if we were going down we were going down happy, [at least it wasn't Amazing Grace].


Twenty-seven hours it took us to get there. Twenty seven hours. a-n-d  not one but two emergency landings for repairs...Gander, Newfoundland and Shannon, Ireland.

So...I loved it. I hated it. I was excited. I was scared. It pretty much comes full circle for me...not that I wouldn't do it all over, in a heartbeat. They say that kids who suffer trauma cope by developing hyper-awareness to undercurrents, body language, people's energy, mixed signals and so on...something about being able to read people and predict behavior makes them feel safe. So, I developed a kind of a sixth sense while flying. For better or for worse, I now have that thingy-and let me tell you, it can be entertaining at times. I watch the flight attendants like a hawk for any sign that we may be in distress. I listen for any noises or changes in the noises that are already there. I watch the other passengers to see if they are in anyway sensing something. I could go on and on, but I will spare you. Your welcome.

At times I still don't do well packed in taunt and tight on a plane...so here are just a few flying tips to make it easier for me everyone...When you get on the plane, walk down the aisle with your bags and carry on things in front of you, so that you do not knock over my drink  for everyone's sake. If you are sitting in front of me, please don't slam your seat back, my knees take enough of a beating. And seriously, why do people love to take off their shoes on a plane, the air is funky enough without smelly, stinky feet...so leave them on, mkay? I know your lucky to get a bag of peanuts on a flight today, so if you must bring food on board consider the odor, onions can stink up the entire plane [see feet above].  This brings me to kids...if they are crying [screaming] please at least pretend like you care. Kicking the seat in front of them for the entire flight is not an acceptable form of entertainment. And for Pete sake! please, please please do not change their stinky diapers on the seat, yes this happened on my last flight, [once again see feet or worse]! If you fall asleep [I envy you] but please no loud snoring, it scares me and I can not listen for every noise that the plane makes. So, there you have it.
“Ladies and gentlemen, the Captain has turned off the Fasten Seat Belt sign, and you may now move around the cabin. However we always recommend to keep your seat belt fastened while you’re seated. You may now turn on your electronic devices such as calculators, CD players and laptop computers.
In a few moments, the flight attendants will be passing around.... breathe through it. go to my happy place. read in my book. watch a movie on my i-pad....
....ding ding ding! "the captain has turned on the fasten seat beat sign, we are experiencing  a bit of turbulence please return to your seats and keep your seat belt fastened”... stewardess!!! may i have a diet coke please, [no ice] and a Valium...
I know, but still
I'm easy that way.

Now, sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight. Thank you.
One of the best things about coming home is baking, again. One of the best things about baking is recipes handed down from family and friends. This is one of those recipes. Sent to me by a friend with a note attached saying this will become a family favorite! Thanks Marcye!

peace.


Sour Cream Coffee Cake
(go here for recipe)


Comments

  1. Marcye4/01/2011

    Monica, it looks perfect....what did your DAD think????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you write! After yesterday's debacle with several airlines this is so appropriate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts