pocket pies



The magic of pocket pies......

When I was little I loved to bake with my mom, she rarely made pies so when she did it was a special occasion. My favorite part was when she would give me pie crust scraps that I would cut into different shapes & fill with fruit (apple, peaches, plums, blueberries......really, whatever we had) sugar, cinnamon & butter. Of course, I sprinkled tons of sugar on the top!

After it was baked, I would wrap my sugary treat in waxed paper & carefully place it in the pocket of my shorts. I never ate it right away, I liked to think about it, safe in my pocket as I rode my bike or played with my friends. Eventually I would wander into the garden, usually by the Annabelle hydrangea because that was where the fairies lived, & slowly unwrap my treat. There in the sun of summer in the sky as blue as the forget-me-nots that grew along the garden path, I would spend cherished childhood moments that have forever followed me. I would leave the garden happy & of course I always left a few bites for the fairies......


Sour cherry pocket pies
{printable recipe}

for the sour cherry filling:


In a saucepan whisk together 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch & a pinch of salt until combined. Add 2 cups pitted sour cherries (you can also use frozen, just thaw & drain them) & 1 tsp vanilla extract. Cook over medium high heat until slightly thickened, this should take about 15 to 18 minutes. Cool to room temperature. To make the blueberry filling, simply substitute the blueberries for sour cherries. You can really make any filling you like!


Using your favorite pie crust recipe, cut out shapes using large cookie cutters...you will need two for each pocket pie.

Into the center of the bottom crust place some of the filling making sure to leave enough room around the edges so that you can seal & crimp the top & bottom together.


Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake at 400* for about 20 minutes
or until golden & bubbly.


enjoy!

Comments

  1. very cool story on the pocket pies, now we all know where the fairies live.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts