march.



Because I still remember being a kid.  Because I still remember that, sometimes, being the same counts for everything.


I had a few rare free hours the other evening, it was windy and cozy. I could have busied myself with chips, salsa and trashy TV, but instead I got crafty and made glittery Easter eggs. Yep! There was no particular plans for what to do with them, except that they make me happy. Well, I succeeded. Each egg was like a tiny smile. The only word for them was cheerful, which is exactly what I need in my life right now!

Easter isn’t typically considered a big holiday for decorating, but for those of us who are still feeling the pangs of Christmas, I’ll take any excuse to get festive I can get. Sometimes that means stringing up some cards, or, in this case, glittering up some eggs.

Remember back in early November, when I pledged to do my dangdest to enjoy and appreciate Winter?

 Well, I'm pleased to report that I truly have seen it in a new, more glimmery light. Time and time again, I find my eye drawn to unassuming slivers of beauty.

I have passed a certain fence-post thousands of times and never paid it any mind until yesterday. That was a gift.  I caught on to the fact that an endless blue sky is the perfect backdrop for strangely beautiful, naked trees. I felt my heart warm to the perfect pinkish gold of faded hydrangea blooms. It is safe to assume that the geometry of a roof-line, the green of its shingles, would have gone unnoticed by me if there were flowers and flip flops and.... green grass to distract me.

But for 4 solid months now, I have searched for beauty, and I have found it. Winter, it's been swell, but all good things are bound to come to an end.

I'm officially over you.

I'm not a complete jerk, I'll give you 'til the end of the month. And then, I ask that you see yourself to the door. I'll leave the fond memories of our time together packed up in a box on my doorstep. You can pick them up on your way out of town. There's no need to drag this out. We've simply run our course. I really hope we can remain friends...and, well you know I'm sure someday our paths will lead us back together again.
For now, I'm looking for greener pastures, fewer layers, dirty fingernails and color.

I hope you can understand.

just sayin'. 


Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower

Adapted from: Bon Appetit
8 oz cauliflower florets, sliced horizontally
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
Pinch of salt
3 light dashes of ground black pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon chopped parsley leaves
Preheat oven to 400°.
Toss the sliced cauliflower with the butter and olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper. Transfer the cauliflower to a baking sheet, in single layer, roast until almost tender about 20-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the grated Parmesan and chopped parsley leaves on top of the cauliflower, roast again until the cheese melts and slightly crusty, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Friday night went something like this: Eli rubbed down a chicken with rosemary and thyme, stuck a lemon between its knees, and roasted it up with some baby red potatoes, carrots, and onions. I got some roasting in myself thanks to the heads of broccoli and cauliflower rolling around in our fridge. When the rice had soaked up the last drops of water in the pot, dinner was served.

We opened a not-very-good bottle of wine, knowing full well that it was not very good. When it's just family, you can do that sort of thing.

Eli did the dishes while Kase and I sprawled out on the green sofas and got to work on those gummy bears. - See more at: http://www.sweetamandine.com/2009_03_01_archive.html#sthash.4hhIGZBj.dpuf

Comments

Popular Posts