open mic monday.


I know.  I know.  This is a great time of life and there is still so much more to come (unless I've just jinxed it).  But there is definitely some stuff that reminds me I'm not a high school cheerleader wanna be any more.  Yes, these are the kind of things I think about in the murky, forgotten hours between midnight and dawn. I know. I. Know.

Stretching out to walk last week, I hiked my leg up on a fence like I was a ballerina and pulled a muscle. I wish you could have seen the looks on my puppies faces.  WHAT ARE YOU DOING? Did you just try to do a split on the fence?

I actually heard a popping sound and was kinda confused for a moment like I was thinking the big pep rally was this Friday night and why wouldn't I be stretching vigorously? I really need to practice.  my jumps, pyramids and round offs! plus has anyone seen my pom poms?

Life just looks a bit different now and certain things have made that very clear.

Like the time it takes me to roll out of bed every morning with the cracks and creaks and the moans and the groans.  Or the fact that the hubs reminds me every time I walk down the stairs to hold onto the railing and don't let go "because that's how old people die".

I'm definitely reminded of my age when certain foods disagree with me.  I feel like I'm heading toward the old lady years where every meal is comprised of tea and toast.

I definitely feel it when I spend the morning in the garden and then have to recover on the couch for the entire rest of the day.  Can someone please cook dinner and bring it to me on a tray?  

Glad I did a half marathon when I turned 40 because that's clearly not happening again.  At this point, I probably couldn't do a half mile.

I feel it when someone calls me ma'am... which by the way I hate.

I feel it when I'm around young people and they talk in front of me about really private things because they assume I can't hear them. Speaking of young people? I took a couple of real estate classes several years ago, and threw in a  jazz dance class just for fun. Naturally my classes were comprised of a bunch of 20-something year olds.  I remember being sorta nervous about attending the classes. What will they think of me? Will they laugh at me returning to college, at my age? Will they think I dress funny?

Will they this? Will they that?

Are you kidding me?   I wasn't in the class for more than ten minutes before I realized THEY DON'T CARE.  In fact, I was absolutely invisible.  An apparition which made the hair on the back of their necks stand up when I floated by. They looked at each other curiously like "did you feel something?".

It was both a huge relief and a giant blow to my ego.  Oh well.


I go back and forth. At times, it's really clear that I am in fact over 60. and forgive me but this is a big deal.

And then like the college class experience, I think I'm around their age.  I can't figure out why the young waiter has to nervously look away from the slightly older woman flirting with him.  Yes me.  I'm the OLD (ER) woman flirting with the newly traumatized kid.  Oh stop, he'll live.

I don't know where I was going with this blog post.  I think it's about oldness or cheerleading or inappropriate behavior.  I'm not sure.

Let's just call it Open Mic Monday. (yes, I know it's not Monday.)

peace.

 
best gingersnaps, ever!

1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup oil
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt

mix sugar, oil, molasses and egg together.  beat well.  then, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in a separate bowl. gradually blend flour mixture into molasses mixture - by hand.  using about 1 T for each, form into 1 1/4" balls.  roll in granulated sugar place 2" apart on a greased cookie sheet. bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  makes about 4 dozen.

Comments

Popular Posts