vacation, with a side of wedding.

I miss my Ocean. Six days together and then BOOM. She's gone.

Going to the Ocean is like exhaling for a really long, slow time. It is therapy. It is like going home. It's never about doing anything, really. It's about the exact opposite.

I did really want to go. But I also knew that I needed to go.


Meanwhile, my cracked heart is scabbing over. It is healing itself back to love, as I knew it would. Those blasted memories never do stop arriving at my doorstep and I turn around v e r y slowly until I am almost back where I started. Until I almost forget what it feels like to be banged up on behalf of someone else. I am still as comfy as ever, living inside my frosted glass house, where the light can pour in, but also, I am beginning to see out.

That first night by the sea I stayed up until 3 o'clock in the ayem. I sat near the sound of those beloved, crashing waves and remembered times from my life. On this night, my eyes burned and I listened hard and I knew dawn was just a few breaths away. And when the light did come, it filled all the cracks. It shined right through. It filled me up.


This is just how life is for me and my everyday, people. It's not as funny in person as I always think. It's more like, Dude! You need to get more sleep! So, here's what we did on our vacation...we slept in (kinda), had our coffee overlooking the sand and sea watching the sun rise, hit the beach, ate fried fish for lunch, hit the beach, got kittened up, ate grilled fish and ice cream for dinner, slept.

 Rinse. Repeat.

It was brilliant in every way. 

We did a little shelling. Got raccoon eye suntans. At some point, inspiration struck and we ate breakfast at the local dive and went to a cheesy gift shop. I have no earthly idea why we did it. It just seemed like the right thing to do. (Still a little scared of the liver sausage and scrapple, but the cat head biscuits and grits were yummy). Some home-front excitement/drama erupted while we were gone. I didn't get all caught up on my sleep. I'm allergic to sunscreen. The starfish amputees creeped me out a bit. But for six whole days, I was fancy-free to my core. I didn't worry about weeding the beds or sorting the whites. I was inspired and reminded of some of the things I'm most thankful for.

The big bonus, we still have all of summer ahead of us!


OH!!! and we went to a wedding!


My nephew got hitched, at the beach, and we were there! Youn's are going to swoon over this wedding. Well, you'll either love it, or you'll think it looks a tiny bit like 27 Dresses. (There are bound to be a few stragglers out there who don't understand the appeal of breaking surf and sandy toes as wedding decor.) The flowers knocked my socks off. And just to be clear, weddings at the Ocean are the most romantic, evah. It's true.

I will leave you with a few teasers, because that's just the kind of girl I am.

Baby blue skies. Crashing waves. Sea shell filled beaches. Sandy toes. Salty kisses. Playing in the ocean with my sister and being five years old again. Best shrimp and grits in the history of the world. Adorable ring bearer. Dreamy vows. swoony beach wedding. White chocolate wedding cake. a peaceful easy feeling all the live long day.

 I remember looking out at the crowd during the ceremony and seeing my mama sitting with an empty chair beside her. It was one of many moments that made me weepy. Then I looked around, and I saw him in the chipped up paint and the rusty gates and especially in the eyes of his beautiful family. He was there with us.


So, here's to vacation, with a wedding thrown in for good measure! {clink} I adore you.

peace.


 fried green tomatoes
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 medium-size, firm green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices (about 1 1/4 lb.)
Vegetable oil

 Whisk together egg and buttermilk. Combine cornmeal mix, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup flour in a shallow dish. Dredge tomato slices in remaining 1/4 cup flour; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture. Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a large cast-iron skillet; heat to 375° over medium-high heat. Drop tomatoes, in batches, into hot oil, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle hot tomatoes with salt to taste.

Comments

Popular Posts