dusting of cornflower.



True story: Back when I waited tables in a pink polyester uniform for a living, we once had a server call in for the day saying, "Man, I just got the blues". For some reason, that ranks as one of the funniest moments in my professional career. It still cracks me up. I mean, that's what I call brutal honesty.

Truth is, we all get the blues. At least I do. Sometimes I know the lineage of said blues and other times I don't. Sometimes it's a cumbersome layer of indigo and other times it's just a dusting of cornflower.

No matter your shade, I promise this will help. Grab the nearest vase/pitcher/empty soup can and head on out, clippers in hand. Decide that although flowers in your garden are lovely and good for your soul, a whole bunch of them on your kitchen windowsill might just be horticultural narcotics. Start snipping, and don't look back. Admire your creation from every angle and realize that you love the wilted ones just as much as the robust.

Realize that life loves you the exact same way.

This approach may not cure all that ails you, but if nothing else, it's the prettiest distraction.


Now, grab some fresh tomatoes from your garden and make your life a little lovelier with homemade salsa.



just sayin'.

fresh salsa
4 lbs tomatoes
1 large yellow onion, peeled
1 green bell pepper
up to 3 small jalapeno peppers
1 Anaheim pepper
1 clove garlic
1/3 bunch cilantro
1 Tablespoon + 1 scant teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon + 1 scant teaspoon season salt
1 Tablespoon + 1 scant teaspoon lemon juice (either fresh or bottled)
freshly ground black pepper
 Core and roughly chop all produce. Remove seeds from peppers as desired. For milder salsa, remove all pepper seeds; for spicier salsa, leave some or all seeds in. Working in batches, use a food processor to chop tomatoes, onion, all peppers, garlic, and cilantro to desired size. I pulse mine until it’s just a little chunky. Pour salsa into a large bowl and add all seasoning and lemon juice. Refrigerate until needed. Makes 4-5 pints.

Comments

Popular Posts